In July my family headed up to the Crowsnest Pass for some camping and quadding. I thought I’d be in Denver when they went…so I was very excited to make it! It was an awesome opportunity to be outside and away from the ‘world’, being with my family made it even better.
After I 4x4’d my little sunflower to the campsite, I found a new way to crush cans…just wish I’d been able to finish my drink first!
After I 4x4’d my little sunflower to the campsite, I found a new way to crush cans…just wish I’d been able to finish my drink first!
I decided to see if I could get Neena on a quad, I honestly doubted she would, so I was thrilled when she proved me wrong.
I wanted to make it a good experience for her when I started riding (not driving lol)…so I made sure it looked/sounded like I was having the best time of my life…my family thought I was nuts. But it worked…she chased beside me in her crazy Neena way, and when I stopped she even got back on again…brave puppy!
Friday morning Glen, Dustin and I went on a firewood finding expedition, quad and chainsaw in tow. It was decided that even though I haven’t watched “Ax Man”, I was ‘teachable’ and was allowed to use the chainsaw to cut down and de-branch a couple tree’s with only minor critique.
And this might seem lame…but it was a moment for me!!! I was sawing away, mildly freaking that I’d cut my foot off, somewhat giggling because I had ‘the power’ and the thought popped into my mind that for 8 years I was ok with letting someone ELSE do this for me, instead of experiencing it for myself. Sometimes I’d like to go back and kick my own butt. All because I played with a chainsaw. I’m a head-case for sure;).
When we got back to camp the wood had to be sectioned and halved, I wasn’t going to sit that out either. Sadly, I am MUCH better with a chainsaw than an axe.
So my brother’s can do ANYTHING with a cigarette in their mouth… shoot guns, brand calves, fix vehicles, light birthday cakes, you name it. I have the pictures to prove it. I’ve started to feel a little left out…so I decided this weekend I wanted to join the family tradition.
Friday morning Glen, Dustin and I went on a firewood finding expedition, quad and chainsaw in tow. It was decided that even though I haven’t watched “Ax Man”, I was ‘teachable’ and was allowed to use the chainsaw to cut down and de-branch a couple tree’s with only minor critique.
And this might seem lame…but it was a moment for me!!! I was sawing away, mildly freaking that I’d cut my foot off, somewhat giggling because I had ‘the power’ and the thought popped into my mind that for 8 years I was ok with letting someone ELSE do this for me, instead of experiencing it for myself. Sometimes I’d like to go back and kick my own butt. All because I played with a chainsaw. I’m a head-case for sure;).
When we got back to camp the wood had to be sectioned and halved, I wasn’t going to sit that out either. Sadly, I am MUCH better with a chainsaw than an axe.
So my brother’s can do ANYTHING with a cigarette in their mouth… shoot guns, brand calves, fix vehicles, light birthday cakes, you name it. I have the pictures to prove it. I’ve started to feel a little left out…so I decided this weekend I wanted to join the family tradition.
No worries, I couldn’t smoke a cigarette if my life depended on it. Dustin’s comment when I gave it back was something like “Eww…it’s like someone french-kissed it”.
That afternoon we went for a quad ride, of course this gal can’t afford her own toys…but between family and friends we usually have enough quads for everyone. I’m spoiled and I know it! I do have my own helmet & goggles; I think it might be a good idea to get a pair of riding gear after my adventure!
Of course Dustin has his own quad...I think it looks mean…it’s awesome...
We had a great trip…I’ve usually rode heavier 4x4 quad, think Yamaha Grizzly, so the Scrambler was a fun change. It’s really amazing what you can go over and through with a quad, and it’s a pretty neat feeling when you get to the top of the mountain and can see for miles.
Coming back DOWN the mountain is what got me. So I can be a hot head…I’ll admit it. I really hate being left behind, although I try not to be a total idiot especially when I’m on borrowed equipment. Anyways, I was following Dustin back down the trail; at a steep spot I slowed to give him enough room. As I followed I must have hit a root wrong, and before I knew it I was thrown over the front left tire with the quad following. I remember landing on my shoulders and thinking “the quad is going to squish me”, and then I remember seeing my pant leg get caught and thinking “OH MY GOSH…it’s going to take me WITH it!” Freakay!!!!
I was pretty lucky, besides a scrape on my lower back and some bruises on my legs I came out pretty unharmed. But adrenaline…let me tell you!
Of course when we got back to camp I wanted a photo to memorialize my near death experience!
Other highlights of the trip…got to spend some time with Brady’s girlfriend…it’s a very sweet feeling watching my little brother with a gal. And scary lol!
And SEE!!! I wasn’t lying about the cigarette’s lol!!!
And I also got to hang with my nephew. We had a blast going for little quad rides…although there were a few comments about whether I was qualified after rolling a quad *eye roll*.
And I also got to hang with my nephew. We had a blast going for little quad rides…although there were a few comments about whether I was qualified after rolling a quad *eye roll*.
I love his dirty little finger in this picture...I think its a sign of a kid who's had a good weekend!
It’s going to be fun in a couple years when he’s big enough to ride his own!
We try to make this a yearly trip, sometimes it doesn't work, but I am really hoping it works out that we can go again next year. I've really missed the mountains, and quadding. I'm getting more and more determined to do some snowmobiling this winter...its been too long!
Once again...great pictures!
ReplyDeleteI am glad that you're okay...and that you could pick yourself (and your pride) back up and ride again.