Sunday, January 9, 2011

Indoor Trials

Its been a year since Neena's melt-down at the Training Troop trial.  In December the premium came out for this years January trial, and while I really wanted to enter, I honestly wasn't sure what was best for Neena.  Did I enter her and risk a repeat?

At the same time, we've come so far since then!  She's had minor melt-downs and managed to work through them (the monster truck at the Whoop Up Days demo), and the August trial was an outright success!  Every day she gains just a little more confidence...and I'm so happy to see it.  I think a majority of it was a time thing, she's really grown up this past year, but I also like to think at least a small part of it was because of things I've done to help her (usually at the suggestion from some really amazing friends!). 

But she is still worried and fearful at some point on most of our walks through the city.  I actually refuse to only off-leash walk her for that reason, it seems like if I don't keep her working/walking in the city we lose some ground.  City buses, loud trucks...oh my today was a nightmare with all the snowplows...still make her visibly scared.  Somedays its hard not the think a different owner, a more experienced trainer, might be able to bring her farther.  I feel like I'm not helping her reach her full potential...its hard...but then I smack myself and remind myself there are other reasons why we are meant to be each others:).

Bottom line...we've come a long way, but I know we still have work to do..and I accept (maybe wrongly) that there will always be certain triggers for her.  And in general she's been more comfortable at outdoor events...so I wasn't sure I could go to an indoor trial without the fear of a repeat in my mind, and even if she was ok, that my fears would fuel hers.

I ended up asking Sarah what to do...she told me to enter her in 2 of her favorite events each day, and to pretend I'd never been there before:).  Unfortunately, the trial is very popular and we didn't get in...I'm still considering driving up this weekend anyways, I think it might be really good for both of us!  It would be nice to give her a chance to chill out at the arena without any pressure to perform.  And I could go and stop being a silly emotional girl.  And...AND...we could cheer on our friends!  That's always fun too! 

Anyways, still on the fence about this weekend, and I'm also trying to decide what to do about the February Calgary trial.  I already know I have a chem midterm the following Tuesday, and after the whole midterm after Vegas fiasco...yeeesh...maybe I'll enter one day.  Or maybe I'll run her one day and beg Sarah to run her the other?  LOL!

4 comments:

  1. you are perfect for neena. never doubt that.

    neena has come a long way- and will continue to improve. but some of those things will just always be triggers for her. the trick is to teach her to recover.

    it's too bad you didn't get into the trial as I was looking forward to neena showing off how much better she is. :) I do think you should bring her up just for the day- it will be good for her.

    Bring your running shoes and maybe you can run wicca. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with the above comments. Neena is Neena...and just like us...she learns to cope everyday...and she will have her bad days...and she will have her good days...just like us...Don't ever sell yourself short...You are good for Neena and Neena is good for you...mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Amanda...I like how you put that, teach her to recover...it makes sense in my brain.

    And oh my gosh...poor Wicca lol...

    ReplyDelete