Today is a big day…first, I started my next (last?) semester of pre-requisite hell. Here’s the thing...maybe I’m fooling myself, but I’m really not enjoying ‘this part’ of my educational journey. I keep telling myself there will be classes that I don’t love at vet school, but I also think it will be more like college…courses I’m interested in and where I can see the application! However there’s this little voice in the back of my head that says…Peters…you’re a fool…
Anywho…I’m actively ignoring that voice at the moment.
This semester I’m enrolled in chemistry, biology, and biochemistry. Between 12 hours of lecture and 6 hours of lab time per week it’s going to be busy. Kim, my boss, has been great helping me juggle work and school; I’m only working about 20hrs/week this semester. I’m hoping that will help with the stress level although I’m a little disappointed too, Murphy’s Law that we are doing work at the feedlot that I’m missing out on.
Second reason today is a big day…my vet school application is in the mail. Holy smokes was writing that baby stressful. YOU try to describe your job in 50 well written words. Also grammar has never ever been my strength, last night I was wishing I’d asked my English prof to proofread it for me. And while there are a lot of strengths in my application, I couldn’t help but notice all the gaps. The reality of the situation is my grades are ok but not excellent, I have a lot of good qualifications but I should have more veterinarian experience, and my competition is fierce. My chances of getting in this year are pretty slim, I’ve known that all along, and set my goal for this year at an interview. I should know about that by the beginning of March.
So then what? It came up in a conversation with a friend the other day...what if you don’t get an interview or in? My response...
Anywho…I’m actively ignoring that voice at the moment.
This semester I’m enrolled in chemistry, biology, and biochemistry. Between 12 hours of lecture and 6 hours of lab time per week it’s going to be busy. Kim, my boss, has been great helping me juggle work and school; I’m only working about 20hrs/week this semester. I’m hoping that will help with the stress level although I’m a little disappointed too, Murphy’s Law that we are doing work at the feedlot that I’m missing out on.
Second reason today is a big day…my vet school application is in the mail. Holy smokes was writing that baby stressful. YOU try to describe your job in 50 well written words. Also grammar has never ever been my strength, last night I was wishing I’d asked my English prof to proofread it for me. And while there are a lot of strengths in my application, I couldn’t help but notice all the gaps. The reality of the situation is my grades are ok but not excellent, I have a lot of good qualifications but I should have more veterinarian experience, and my competition is fierce. My chances of getting in this year are pretty slim, I’ve known that all along, and set my goal for this year at an interview. I should know about that by the beginning of March.
So then what? It came up in a conversation with a friend the other day...what if you don’t get an interview or in? My response...
“Try, try again…I’m a stubborn bitch! And I’ll spend the next year strengthening my application and driving them crazy;)”
Look out U of C...I almost feel sorry for you lol...almost...
Look out U of C...I almost feel sorry for you lol...almost...
Look out is right...go get 'em!!!
ReplyDelete