Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Las Vegas - Day 6

Hmmm...I'm thinking I might have my Harley Davidson day mixed up...I mighta gone this day? Darn it...this is why you should keep a DETAILED trip log lol.

Anyways, what I remember FOR SURE is that we made sure to make it to the track a little early today so that I could try to get some better pictures before the light went away.

The 'Pits'
Las Vegas
Lined up for track pack
I just happened to catch these guys as they were lining up for track packKatie & Garry!'Dad' Barber getting those tires buffed up!The race day format was a little different today...just 12 last chance qualifier races and then the feature event! Unfortunately after 3 days, and approximately 17 hours of racing...the only Canadian to make the feature was Steve Arpin...and it was cold. Alberta wind, bone chilling cold...I borrowed a sleeping bag from Frenchie and I am certain its the only reason I survived to tell this story!

HOWEVER...let me tell you, watching the very best of the best take that green flag is something I don't think I'll ever forget! A 50 lap main and I think there were only 4 cautions...that is applause worthy on its own. Lots of folk won't understand...fellow racers will...there is something about the rumble of a modified engine...times 28...lap after lap...it rumbles and vibrates through your whole body. In fact on the way home that night I came up with an 'Ode to Modified Engines'...it went something like this:

I could eat to that sound
I could sleep to it
I could work to it
I could wake up to it
I could fall asleep to it
I could...

well...I think you get the picture...

I really can not begin to describe how incredible the Duel in the Desert was...I don't have enough words! And its highly probably I'm just a racing junky who got her fix and 98% of the population won't understand. Meh...LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment