Have to admit, this years branding went off pretty much without a hitch...there was no fist fight, no 'angry driving', nothing was broken on purpose...sheesh...guess we are mellowing with age!
All the snow/rain that Southern Alberta has gotten over the last few weeks made the farm...well...a sloppy mess. It took extra-special planning, including this 'yellow straw road' that lead the babies back to their mommies, to get'er done.
We don't believe in tables...that's what tailgates are for! I am the 'needle girl'...and the bolus girl...and the "Jen, come look at this and tell me what we should do" girl. Its going to be fun when I'm a vet lemme tell ya!
I was dog sitting for my brother and his girlfriend, Doby...well...he's Doby. I finally had to be mean and tie him up but have you ever tried to tell a poodle that he should stop chasing the calves?
Just when we were finally ready to get started, it was decided we needed a break. Men.
Warren and Jordan were the calf pushers. This, is my absolute favorite picture from the entire day. It actually made me laugh until I cried
Lots of people will tell you that that 'real' branding involves horses & ropes & holding the calves by hand. We have used a calf table for years, and in all honesty unless you and your team are VERY experienced...I truly believe this is the safest way for everyone.

Here is our brand...
And our lease eartag is #28, I always thought my racing number should be 28, but it just never felt right!
The dogs all had a great time playing in the 'mud' and dugout...yuck. I deal with a lot of sh*t on a day to day basis (literally), but getting the dogs home in my car, and then bathing them both was EXHAUSTING! Neena might shed like crazy, but her coat is SO much easier to care for than Doby's! Wow!
Dad's been saying for years that he's selling his cows, this year was 'supposed' to be our last branding...and then half-way through he whispers to me "I'll never get rid of my cows"...that's what I thought!
Ah, I do love my little red-necked family!














Oh...poor Doby!
ReplyDeleteGood picture of your Dad...and Warren too.
So why did you bring dirty dogs home in your car and not just clean them up and the farm first?
Well...I DID debate throwing them in the hot tub...but mostly I just didn't want to smell wet dog for an hour! I'm USED to the smell of cow shit lol!
ReplyDeleteYou are a true farm girl!
ReplyDelete