Friday, June 4, 2010

Did you know I have a green thumb? *snicker*

I actually find it a wee bit embarassing. I'm a farm girl. My dad is a pretty fantastic farmer. I really enjoy playing in the dirt, and I like growing things...but honestly, I'm not that good at it. I consider it a work in progress...by the time I'm 70 or so I betcha I'll be a stellar gardener! For now I'm always making do...with limited funds, limited space, limited light and crappy soil. But even to me that sounds like excuses lol!

This is my 3rd summer playing gardener...oh dear...here we go...

I started these plants from seed...they are either black eyed susan or purple coneflower.  It'll be a suprise when they bloom.  Guess I coulda kept better track of my seedlings lol.
I'm sort of a random gardener, for instance, I planted this Creeping Jenny last year...because the name makes me giggle.  
Forgot until today that I ever planted a fern...unfortunatley, this lil bugger's going to have to be moved...poor guy!  I'm gonna kill him one way or another...
I LOVE peonies.  I'm so excited, this will be the first year this plant blooms!  Did I mention that gardening takes a lot of patience? 
Lamb's ear's and lilies make me think of my Grandma Peters.  She was a fantastic gardener, I wish she was still around to give me advice...but this is one way I keep her close.
I planted this hydrangea the first summer I lived here.  Did I mention that gardening takes a lot of patience?  I was really hoping to finally get some blooms off it this year...unfortunately she had to suffer through the 'Big S' last summer, I guess I should be thankful she's alive at all!
Speaking of the 'Big S'...this is my itty-bitty backyard.  For several reasons I thought putting sod back here was a bad idea.  I was vetoed.  I was right.  AAAAAND I'm done now.
I really wasn't lying...I am a terrible gardener...these are my seedlings from this spring.  Yikes!  You have no idea how terribly embarassed I am.  BUT I have a sense of humor...and I also find it terribly funny!
I bought a few plants...I'm not sure why, but today I'm finding this plant especially funny...
This one too...
Small things for small minds I guess.

I'm notorious for making a big mess when I'm in the middle of a project...you should see the kitchen when I'm baking/cooking.  Or my bathroom when its 'girls night out'.  Same deal when I'm gardening...

BUT I always clean-up after myself!  
Very excited to have a few BBQ's out here this summer!

2 comments:

  1. If ya want things to grow...they need to be watered. LOL!

    Be encouraged Jen...most of it is trial and error for me too...but so worth it when it does work out. BTW...I want a some of your hydrangea when it finally gets big enough to split.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you take after your mother? lol But...I'll have you know after you laughed when I bought yes another inside plant to replace the last one...that I have kept 3 plants quite healthy for the last 2 years...watering does help!

    ReplyDelete