Monday, July 27, 2009

Bumper to Bumper, Side by Side

It was back to BCR this weekend for another weekend of wild! I'd like to introduce you to the truck stocks...these guys are CRAZAY! I love watching them, they can go 4 wide through the corners and not touch each other (or the wall) which is a feat let me tell you! They are a dream to work with and are usually lined up to go racing before we have to ask, and they never complain when things don't go as planned. They come out each weekend to have fun, and although they are competitive, for the most part they don't let it get in the way of their camaraderie.


The Sportman Sprints were racing again this weekend, my good friend Sean Moskal had his newly painted sprint car out.


Sean, my husband Mike, and my dad raced street stocks together many many years ago. Additionally Sean and Mike work together at Southern Rewind, Southern Rewind is also one of Sean's sponsors.


So before I get blasted for playing favorites...I really do try to cheer for everyone equally. Every weekend I want to see good, clean, fun racing. I want every driver to go home safe, and preferably with their car in once piece...after all, I want to see you race again next week! I have learned there is more to racing that winning (although I'm sure the drivers will tell you differently lol!) and on many occasions I have seen drivers as excited to have raced hard and clean beside their friend as they would have been to take home the trophy.

That being said, Saturday night things came together for Sean and he lead the race for the first half of the main event. I was so excited for him, and although I really did want him to win I was really hoping that he had finally ironed out some of the kinks he seemed to keep running into. A caution come out and Sean fell to 3rd place which would have still been a respectable finish for him. However with about 3 laps to go Sean had to pass a lapped car, and I'm not sure what exactly happened but Sean's car ended up tumbling down the backstretch into corner 3.

Don't get me wrong, Sprint cars are fun and they are FAST! BUT they are a light car, with a short and narrow wheel base...and although the wing is meant to apply downforce and keep the car on the track it doesn't take much for them to go airborne. Watching a sprint wreck is awful...it doesn't matter who is in that car. I have never understood people who wait anxiously for 'the big one' from the stands, obviously they have never watched their loved one race. Fortunately Sean's safety equipment did its job and he walked away, however I don't think the average fan realizes how much money and time goes into preparing a car for racing and that each big wreck might be a racers last.

I'll leave you with the 'after' photo, OUCHIE!

1 comment: