Saturday, January 23, 2010

A little about my Oma

My Great Grandmother, who we call Oma, is almost 92 years old.  She lives in Chilliwack, BC and I was fortunate to be able to spend a year closer to her after high school.  I cherish the times we spent together during that time, I was able to get to know and understand her a lot better...and I hope she feels the same way about me.  I love and respect her very much, and the thought of disappointing her is something that weighs heavily on me.  Which is in some ways very silly as regardless of who or what, she has always been supportive and loving...even when I'm sure its broken her heart.  I am truly amazed at the quality of this woman.

We celebrated her 90th birthday in style, I don't really remember why...I'm guessing because I am the oldest great grandchild...but I said a few words at the party.  I'm a sentimental fool and I kept a copy of my 'speech' and I thought I'd share a few parts:

As I was preparing for today I asked myself what I’d like to hear my great-granddaughter say on my 90th birthday. I thought maybe I’d like to hear that I’d been a good Oma, and I’d hope that I’d have taught her valuable lessons to live her life with. So, Oma, you are a great Oma, and you have taught us all so many things. I want to tell you just a few today, but these few have been so important to me.

Oma, you have taught me an appreciation for food and how you can show love through it. You always knew what our favourites were and did your best to deliver even if it exhausted you. Into my year at CBC I remember getting special dinners and a goodie bag to take back with me to the dorm. Back home in Hays your food is legend: wereniki, paska, fleish perishky, beef cordon-bleu, peppermint cookies, syrup cookies and others. You have passed this tradition down to your children, grandchildren and great-grandchildren. The other day at Grandma’s guess what I was served, beef cordon-bleu, and Mom makes great wreniki. I have to give Grandma credit, she tries every year to make paska in your tradition, but it just doesn’t quite compare.

The other thing I’ve learned from you, but am still learning to do, is to be the constant and supportive force and prayer warrior for my family that you are. I really can’t express to you how much it means to know there is someone in this world who is always praying for me and my brothers. I truly hope that one day my family will have the same from me.

You’ve been in the fabric of my life for so long that some days I have to remind myself that people truly can’t live forever, but you can be rest assured that your love for your family will be felt beyond the generations here today. This is the legacy you have given your family and I cherish it. We all love you so much, so today on your 90th birthday I want to celebrate the gift to us that you have been.

We've been lucky enough to have her out to Alberta a few times in the last couple years, once for my Grandparent's 50th Wedding Anniversary, and again when my nephew was born.  I am hoping to visit with her again soon! 

Oma and a few of her 'girls' at the wedding anniversary.

2 comments:

  1. Jenilee that is so nice. Your Oma sounds wonderful, and you are a really great writer, i am trying not to tear up. My great-grandma lived to be 102, they are so wise and caring aren't they?? I hope for lots of happiness and good health for her!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome post Jenilee and I agree with Sarah about the trying not to tear up...but you know me...I cry at anything...especially when you write so beautifully about Oma!

    ReplyDelete