I'd like to introduce you to Sunar and Gyppie...Neena's BFF's. I can not express how thankful I was for them, and my Go! Dog! Go! friends this weekend at the Training Troop trial in Calgary.
I'm not really 100% sure what set everything off, if I could have done something different Saturday morning to prevent the weekend from turning out as it did. I made sure to give myself lots of time to arrive and get set up, but its still always a little un-nerving and rushed. Oh ya, and I fell! Neena and I went for a little walk before we headed to the arena and I slipped on some ice and landed on my back...luckily I didn't hit my head, but it knocked the wind out of me! Anyways, we were entered in the first run of the day, a Starters Gamble, from what I remember our warm up went pretty good, although I had her out too soon...maybe that was the first domino...I gave her enough time to get worried. About half-way through our run I lost her, she shut down and no matter what I tried I couldn't get her to re-connect with me...we ended up with 19 points...but I don't remember that we even attempted the end gamble.I think at first I thought it was a repeat from the Medicine Hat trial, just too much nerves on my part and not enough focus on having fun with my dog. But something that I could 'fix'! So I started with my 'making it fun' routine, lots of visits with fun people, we went for a couple walks with Sunar...she was still 'off' but I think even then I was still pretty sure we could work through it. We were entered in a Jumpers course that afternoon which is Neena's favorite...I thought perfect! Our warm up is a blur again, I think I had my timing a little better but as soon as I got to the ring I knew I was in serious trouble. She was FREAKED. She was shutting down on me, she would have run away if she hadn't been on leash, instead she kept laying down. I took her out of the arena and tried whatever I could think of to get her revved up...but I never was able to get her to connect with me. We were late for our run, I managed to get her to take one jump and she ran off course.
It was horrible...I felt absolutely helpless...I love this dog so much...but I couldn't figure out what I needed to do to help her forget her fears and have fun with me. I DO agility because I love having fun with my dog...and I love that SHE has fun too. I cried. And that pissed me off because I hated the thought that someone might think I was disappointed in my dog. I wasn't...not even for a second.
The Go! Dog! Go! people were fabulous, they all had words of encouragement for me, best of all they know me and my dog and I didn't worry they would misunderstand why I was upset. Jo and I went to pick up pizza for supper, Tag and Neena are very different but there is still enough similarity I can often take bits of what she does and apply them to Neena. Talking with her and getting away helped calm me down quite a bit. I was EXHAUSTED though...physically...emotionally...I was done. All I wanted was a shower and bed...and then...AND THEN...I almost lost her in Calgary...damn bunnies...
I still managed to list a few positives from the day later on that night:
1. At one point during the day I couldn't get Neena to play AT ALL, but by the end of the day we were playing outside, and even a little bit by our kennels.
2. I was with amazing people and some of them had really great days!
3. I had a plan
4. She's still Neena
5. When the damn bunnies disappeared she came running back...
Sunday...well this is where I mention once again how lucky I am to have Sarah and Amanda. The were upbeat and encouraging and they helped me come up with a plan. I've known for a while that Neena would do better if I had another dog, every time I've fostered she gains confidence from the other dog. So Neena, Gyppie and I spent quite a bit of time hanging out in the arena trying to get Neena used to it, the noises, the people. I also took Sunar and Neena for a walk, they got the snow zoomies...it was very cute!
We were entered in two Standard runs yesterday, remember how I was worried about the weaves? Well they were the LEAST of my worries...my goal was for us to have fun...didn't matter what obstacles we took or what order we took them in...if she was focused on me and sorta having fun I was going to take it! With help from Sarah, Amanda and Gyp we managed to get her revved up and we took off running for our first run...I managed to keep her with me for about 1/3 of the run and then I screwed up by waiting too long on the table and I lost her focus...and then I lost her. She ran off the course, but this time to Sarah and Gyp. Still a big improvement from the day before.
The last run of the day we talked to the judge and I 'made my own course'...pretty much I wanted to do a fun, fast loop and then take her off the course so I got to pick when we were done. We ALL (Sarah, Amanda, Gyp, me and Neena) went through the same routine to get her focused and for the most part the run went as planned. The judge was fabulous, I could hear her telling Neena 'good girl' in the background...so thankful for her understanding!
Although the day went better, it was still exhausting trying to keep Neena focused and having fun, a lot of it fell to Sarah and Amanda as it seemed like they had better luck getting her to play in the arena than I did. I am ever so greatful for you guys! I know how draining it is and I also know you gave energy and time to us that should have been for your own dogs...and all I have is one crappy word to try and let you know how much it meant to me...THANKS!
*Photo thanks to Sarah Novak!

Sorry about the Damn bunnies...we have lost Daisy several times because of them (and then the neighbors feed them, Sheesh,!!)
ReplyDeleteAnd I am sorry about the trials and wish I could have been more supportive but I could tell you were exhausted.
that's what friends are for Jen :) you did EVERYTHING right with her, and I KNOW she will over come it, I just know it.
ReplyDeleteyou know how much energy I have right?? no worries, you didn't take any away that i needed for my own!!!!!!!!!
What an impressive post. Im sorry is was so tough but man it sounds like you really handled it well. Good for you . Diana
ReplyDelete