Sunday, January 31, 2010

Racing Withdrawal

Its a long freaking time from September to May and I've been going through some racing withdrawals.  Fortunately I had the Duel in the Desert to break up the winter...but its still a LONG way until race season.  I don't watch all that much racing on TV, but actually caught some late model racing last night...was a little bummed this morning to realize I'd missed some sprints.  The NASCAR season starts with the Daytona 500 in two weeks...I am really looking forward to that!

Anyways, while I was on my photography adventure at the farm, I stumbled across this...I think it a little funny, and a little sad, that the stock car is parked beside the stock trailer.
Dad only raced full time one year, when I was 16, but we did race on and off for several years after that.  I was fortunate enough to race a powder puff (all girl race) and I even raced with the regular drivers a few times.  Sean and I took a little trip down memory lane last night, and he had a really good time reminding me of the time I 'ran outta talent' and ended up smoking the wall.  We ended up replacing the front clip after that...sigh...so  embarassing.  I really don't remember who caused this damage...won't even lie...coulda been me...then again...coulda been someone else lol!
Another embarassing Jen story...one year I was sent to pick up some screen for the front end.  Can't be that hard right?  After all...I'm a farm girl!  So I mosey into a machine shop in Taber and tell them what I'm looking for...they take me to look at the different screens they have, I pick one and they cut me a chunk.  Went to pay for it...and...well...
Really?!?  How was I supposed to know it was stainless steel just by looking at it?  I felt dumb.

I cringe now that I think about how I wedged myself into this race car...I wore my dad's suit...and as you've seen he's not a little man.  And then I did the best I could to pad this seat to fit me...it was so big on me that the belts didn't hit my hips...even when done up all the way.  The seat was simply too big.  And I forgot all about it until last night but Sean also sassed me for my helmet.  Ugg.  If I knew then what I know now I never woulda raced that car. 
I'm actually super excited (and starting to get more and more nervous lol), one of the guy's is going to let me make a few laps in his modified at our practise day at Bridge County Raceway.  I'm gonna wear Sean's gear which should fit me better than Dad's old gear, pretty sure the seat is still going to be too big...but it will be A LOT safer!  And hopefully I won't embarass myself too much lol!

No comments:

Post a Comment